Founder of InsideTheHive.TV - www.InsideTheHive.TV
Website dedicated to the propagation of free science-oriented education using YouTube and other social media platforms. International collaboration with honey bee researchers and beekeepers around the world with the goal to improve public knowledge and understanding about the importance of bees.
Applied Honey bee Researcher at the Honey Bee Research and extension Laboratory - University of Florida.
Research program dedicated to the needs of commercial beekeepers in the state of Florida.
Chief Operating Officer (COO) and Senior Scientist at HealthyBees, LLC
Technology development of honey bee food supplementation. Start-up located in Miami Beach, Florida.
(Feb 2017- to October 2017)
Research Scientist at University of Maryland College Park (UMD)
Department of Entomology, Dr. Dennis vanEngesdorp Lab
Research on honey bee health focused on pathogenesis of virus infection, host pathogen interactions and identification of new pathogens. (2015- 2016)
Chief Technology Officer (CTO), USA Site Lead and Senior Scientist at Forrest Innovations
Technology development of products using RNAi technology against citrus greening and mosquitoes. Israeli start up company with 3 subsidiaries (Israel, USA and Brazil).
NRC, National Research Council, Fellow (National Academy of Sciences) Chemical and Biological Defense Laboratory - ARO-US Army Research Office
Research on honey bee health, focusing on honeybee pathogens.
Research Associate at the USDA
Bee Research Laboratory, Agricultural Research Service of the United States Department of Agriculture, Beltsville, Maryland, United States of America (2008-2010).
Dr. Jamie Ellis, (Professor, Department of Entomology and Nematology , University of Florida in Gainesville United States of America)
Dr. Olav Rueppell, (Professor, Department of Biology, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, North Carolina, United States of America) firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Jeff Pettis, (Institute of Bee Health, University of Bern, Switzerland. Former Research Leader at the Bee Research Laboratory, Agricultural Research Service of the United States Department of Agriculture, Beltsville, Maryland, USA) email@example.com
Dr. Jay Evans, (Research Leader, Bee Research Laboratory, Agricultural Research Service of the United States Department of Agriculture, Beltsville, Maryland, USA) firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Francesco Pennacchio (Dipartimento di Entomologia e Zoologia Agraria Universita di Napoli Via Universita 10080055 Portici Italy). email@example.com
Mario Jakob (Beekeeper) Head beekeepers at D&J Apiaries
17732 SE 28 3rd Ave. Umatilla FL, 32784 phone: 352-669-4233 firstname.lastname@example.org
Randy Oliver (Beekeeper)
Universidade Estadual Paulista “Julio de Mesquita Filho” (UNESP) Rio Claro, São Paulo, Brazil, 1999
Molecular and Cellular Biology M.Sc. (Virology Emphasis)
Thesis: Molecular cloning and expression of Coxsackievirus B5 VP1 capsid protein in Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Ribeirão Preto School of Medicine, University of São Paulo
(USP), São Paulo, Brazil, 2002.
Molecular and Cellular Biology Ph.D. (Virology Emphasis)
Thesis: Immunization with coxsackievirus B5 recombinant VP1 protein confers tissue damage protection in pancreas of C3H-HeJ mice experimentally infected.
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Ribeirão Preto School of Medicine, University of São Paulo
(USP), SP, Brazil, São Paulo, Brazil, 2007.
1. M.Sc. Scholarship, Research Foundation of the State of São Paulo (FAPESP), Brazil. June 2000- June 2002. Grant No. 00/03520-5. (Full scholarship)
2. Ph.D. Scholarship, Research Foundation of the State of São Paulo (FAPESP), Brazil. June 2003-
June 2007. Grant No. 03/00583-4. (Full Scholarship)
Co-Investigator. Identification and molecular characterization of new honey bee pathogens and pests. PAM (Project Apis Mellifera) http://projectapism.org. $43,000.00
Altmetric Top 10 Articles 2016
As a co-author: “Varroa destructor is an effective vector of Israeli acute paralysis virus in the honeybee, Apis mellifera. Published in Journal of General Virology
Co-Investigator. Identification of putative causes of unidentified disease conditions in honey bee colonies (APHIS). Period of performance May 2016 through May 2017 $47,000
Co-Investigator. Healthy Bees LLC cooperative agreement with University of Maryland. Project Title “Effect of supplementary diet (BeesVita Plus©) on honey bee’s ability to fight infection and detoxify toxins”. Period of performance: April 2015 through April 2016. Cost: $33,677
Co Investigator. Healthy Bees LLC cooperative agreement with University of Maryland. Project Title “Whole-genome transcriptome analysis of honey bee fat bodies under different nutritional conditions”. Period of performance: April 2015 through April 2016. Cost: $19,268
The North American Pollinator Protection Campaign’s. “Identification of IAPV Targets in the
Honey Bee (Apis mellifera)”. Cost: 20,000
NRC Research Associates Programs (RAP), National Academies of Science, approved grant. Project title: “Evaluation of Microsporidia inhibitor compounds against Nosema ceranae, in vitro replicated”, May 2011. Grant No. A1110340. Cost: $130,000
Agricultural Research Service (ARS) Headquarters Postdoctoral Fellowship USDA (2008-2011). Cost: $195,000
3rd Prize winner for poster: “Development and Validation of a Novel Strand-Specific RT-PCR for analysis of Honeybee Virus Replication” at 20th Annual BARC Poster Day 2009, USDA.
São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP), 2003-2007, Project. “Immunization with coxsackievirus B5 recombinant VP1 protein confers tissue damage protection in pancreas of C3H-HeJ mice experimentally infected”. Cost: $200,000 Grant No. 03/00583-4
São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP), 2000-2002, Project. “Molecular cloning and expression of Coxsackievirus B5 VP1 capsid protein in Saccharomyces cerevisiae”. Cost: $40,000 Grant No. 00/03520-5
Co Investigator. Evaluation of controlled virus infection as a measurement of general immune status of honey bee Apis Mellifera. APHIS $50,000 total
Co Investigator. USDA NIFA “Biotic and abiotic drivers of viral prevalence in managed honey bee populations” $500,000.00 total. 2017-2020
Key personal. NSF 14-592 - DEB - ECOLOGY OF INFECTIOUS DISEASES “Feast and foe: The role of shared floral resources in virus transmission between managed and wild bees” $ 1,924,870 total. 2016-2020
Principal Investigator: Molecular phenology of honey bees and its role in sensitivity to virus infections and pesticides.
The role of melanization on honey bee immunity against viruses. NIH/NSF
Evaluation of controlled virus infection as a measurement of general immune status of honey bee Apis Mellifera. APHIS.
PROVISIONAL PATENT APPLICATIONS:
1. Nitzan Paldi; Humberto Boncristiani; Eyal Maori; Alon Wellner; Shaul Ilan, COMPOSITIONS AND METHODS FOR REDUCING PATHOGEN-INDUCED CITRUSGREENING. Provisional Patent Application to be filed in the USA, and identified as Attorney Docket No. 58484.
2. Nitzan Paldi; Humberto Boncristiani; Eyal Maori; Avital Weiss; Emerson Bernardes. COMPOSITIONS AND METHODS OF USING SAME FOR REDUCING RESISTANCE TO MOSQUITO LARVICIDES. US Provisional Patent Application No. 61/988,237.
3. Nitzan Paldi; Humberto Boncristiani; Eyal Maori; Avital Weiss; Emerson Bernardes COMPOSITIONS AND METHODS OF USING SAME FOR INCREASING RESISTANCE OF INFECTED MOSQUITOES. US Provisional Patent Application No. 61/988,235.
4. Nitzan Paldi; Humberto Boncristiani; Eyal Maori; Avital Weiss; Emerson Bernardes. COMPOSITIONS FOR MOSQUITO CONTROL AND USES OF SAME, Provisional Patent Application to be filed in the USA, and identified as Attorney Docket No. 58488.
5. Nitzan Paldi; Humberto Boncristiani; Eyal Maori; Avital Weiss; Emerson Bernardes COMPOSITIONS AND METHODS OF USING SAME FOR CONTROLLING PATHOGENICALLY INFECTED MOSQUITOES. US Provisional Patent Application No.61/988,246
1. Boncristiani, H.F.; Criado, M.F. & Arruda, E. “Respiratory viruses” In: Lederberg J (Ed).
Encyclopedia of Microbiology. Academic Press, New York. 2009.
1. Sarah Michaud, Humberto F. Boncristiani Jr., Joost W. Gouw, Micheline K. Strand, Jeffrey Pettis, Olav Rueppell, Leonard J. Foster. Response of the honey bee (Apis mellifera) proteome to Israeli acute paralysis virus (IAPV) infection. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 10.1139/cjz-2014-0181.
2. Chen YP, Pettis JS, Corona M, Chen WP, Li CJ, Spivak M, Visscher PK, DeGrandi-Hoffman G, Boncristiani H, Zhao Y, vanEngelsdorp D, Delaplane K, Solter L, Drummond F, Kramer M, Lipkin WI, Palacios G, Hamilton MC, Smith B, Huang SK, Zheng HQ, Li JL, Zhang X, Zhou AF, Wu LY, Zhou JZ, Lee ML, Teixeira EW, Li ZG, Evans JD. Israeli acute paralysis virus: epidemiology, pathogenesis and implications for honey bee health. PLoS Pathog. 2014 Jul 31;10(7):e1004261. doi: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1004261. eCollection 2014 Jul.
3. Li JL, Cornman RS, Evans JD, Pettis JS, Zhao Y, Murphy C, Peng WJ, Wu J, Hamilton M, Boncristiani HF Jr, Zhou L, Hammond J, Chen YP. Reply to "conclusive evidence of replication of a plant virus in honeybees is lacking". MBio. 2014 May 27;5(3):e01250-14. doi: 10.1128/mBio.01250-14.
4. Kuster RD, Boncristiani HF, Rueppell O. Immunogene and viral transcript dynamics during parasitic Varroa destructor mite infection of developing honey bee (Apis mellifera) pupae. J Exp Biol. 2014 May 15;217(Pt 10):1710-8. doi: 10.1242/jeb.097766.
5. Li JL, Cornman RS, Evans JD, Pettis JS, Zhao Y, Murphy C, Peng WJ, Wu J, Hamilton M, Boncristiani HF Jr, Zhou L, Hammond J, Chen YP. Systemic spread and propagation of a plant-pathogenic virus in European honeybees, Apis mellifera. MBio. 2014 Jan 21;5(1):e00898- 13. doi: 10.1128/mBio.00898-13.
6. Boncristiani HF, Evans JD, Chen Y, Pettis J, Murphy C, Lopez DL, Simone-Finstrom M, Strand M, Tarpy DR, Rueppell O. In vitro infection of pupae with Israeli acute paralysis virus suggests disturbance of transcriptional homeostasis in honey bees (Apis mellifera). PLoS One. 2013 Sep 5;8(9):e73429. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0073429. eCollection 2013.
7. Wagoner KM, Boncristiani HF, Rueppell O. Multifaceted responses to two major parasites in the honey bee (Apis mellifera). BMC Ecol. 2013 Jul 17;13:26. doi: 10.1186/1472-6785-13-26.
8. Cornman RS, Boncristiani H, Dainat B, Chen Y, vanEngelsdorp D, Weaver D, Evans JD. Population-genomic variation within RNA viruses of the Western honey bee, Apis mellifera, inferred from deep sequencing. BMC Genomics. 2013 Mar 7;14:154. doi: 10.1186/1471-2164- 14-154.
9. Teixeira, E.W.1, Chen, Y.2, Message, D.3, Boncristiani, H.F.4, Pettis, J. 2, Evans, J.D. “Israeli acute paralysis virus in Africanized honey bees in southeastern Brazilian Apiaries”. Journal of Economic Entomology (2012),51(3) 282–284. doi:10.3896/IBRA.188.8.131.52.
10. Boncristiani, H, Robyn Underwood, Ryan Schwarz, Jay Evans, Jeffery Pettis, Dennis vanEngelsdorp. Direct effect of acaricides on pathogen loads and gene expression levels of honey bee Apis mellifera. Journal of Insect Physiology. (2011) 58(5):613-20.
11. Peng, W., Li, J., Boncristiani, H., Strange, J. P., Hamilton, M., & Chen, Y. (2011). Host range expansion of honey bee Black Queen Cell Virus in the bumble bee, Bombus huntii. Apidologie, 42(5), 650–658. doi:10.1007/s13592-011-0061-5.
12. Li, J., Peng, W., Wu, J., Strange, J. P., Boncristiani, H., & Chen, Y. (2011). Cross-Species Infection of Deformed Wing Virus Poses a New Threat to Pollinator Conservation. Journal of Economic Entomology, 104(3), 732–739. doi:10.1603/EC10355.
13. Boncristiani, H., Li, J., Evans, J. D., Pettis, J., & Chen, Y. (2011). Scientific note on PCR inhibitors in the compound eyes of honey bees, Apis mellifera. Apidologie, 42(4), 457–460. doi:10.1007/s13592-011-0009-9.
14. Di Prisco, G., Pennacchio, F., Caprio, E., Boncristiani, H. F., Evans, J. D., & Chen, Y. (2011). Varroa destructor is an effective vector of Israeli acute paralysis virus in the honeybee, Apis mellifera, Journal of General Virology, 92(Pt 1), 151–155. doi:10.1099/vir.0.023853-0. Altimetric top 10 in 2016. http://www.microbiologyresearch.org/content/2016_Altmetrics
15. Boncristiani, H.F. Rossi, R.D., Criado, M.F. Furtado, F.M. & Arruda, E. Magnetic purification of biotinylated cDNA removes false priming and ensures strand-specificity of RT-PCR for enteroviral RNAs. Journal of Virological Methods. 2009 vol. 161 (1) pp. 147-53.
16. Yanping Chen, Jay D Evans, Liang Zhou, Humberto Boncristiani, Kiyoshi Kimura, Tieguang Xiao, A M Litkowski, Jeffery S Pettis. Asymmetrical coexistence of Nosema ceranae and Nosema apis in honey bees. Journal of Invertebrate Pathology. 2009 vol. 101 (3) pp. 204-9.
17. Boncristiani H.F., Di Prisco G., Pettis J., Hamilton M., Chen Y. Molecular approaches to the analysis of deformed wing virus replication and pathogenesis in the honey bee, Apis mellifera. Virol J (2009) vol. 6 pp. 221.
18. Jay D. Evans, Humberto Boncristiani, Yanping Chen. Scientific note on mass collection and hatching of honey bee embryos. Apidologie, 2009.
19. Boncristiani, H. F., & Arruda, E. (2003). Molecular cloning and expression of recombinant VP1 of coxsackievirus B5. Medicina (Ribeirao Preto), 36(1), 55–56. Ribeirão Preto. Retrieved from <Go to ISI>://BIOABS:BACD200500106094.
1. Marise L. Fermino1, Marta A. Toscano2, Luciana P. Ruas1, Humberto F. Boncristiani, Eurico A. Neto, Angela K. Cruz, Fu-Tong Liu, Roger Chammas, Eleanor M. Riley, Maria Cristina Roque-Barreira, Emerson S. Bernardes, Gabriel A. Rabinovich. Endogenous galectin-3 selectively controls Notch ligand expression, nitric oxide production and Th1/Th2 responses during Leishmania major infection. European Journal of Immunology. (2018) submitted.
2. Boncristiani HF, Wagoner KM, Rueppell O. Full transcriptome analysis of honey bee Apis mellifera IAPV infected at pupae stage over the first 48 hours of infection. Plos Pathogen 2018. In prep.
3. Boncristiani HF, Posada F, Evans J. Identification of viable honey bee viruses in in wax/propolis samples from hive tools. Journal of Applied Apiculture. 2018
4. Maori E., Boncristiani HF, Miska E. Rnai-based acquired immunity against viruses in insects. Nature 2018.
5. Boncristiani HF, et al. Up take of Nosema ceranae by human cell line. Journal of insect physiology. 2018
1. American Society for Virology
2. Brazilian Society of Virology
3. American Beekeeping Association
• Journal of insect physiology
• Journal of Virological Methods
• Genetics and Molecular Research Journal
• Biology Letters